Persimmon Jerk Chicken
- 2 Fuyu persimmons
- 1/2 of a small red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp hot sauce (adjusted to taste)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 oz spiced rum
- 1” piece of ginger, finely grated
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste (optional)
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 chicken thighs
- Halve and roast persimmons under a broiler until golden on top; scoop flesh into your food processor.
- In a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle, grind cinnamon, allspice, peppercorn, cloves, and mustard seed
- Blitz everything together in your food processor until smooth; check and adjust seasoning.
- Marinade your chicken for at least 8 hours, 24 hours if possible
- Grill over medium-high heat until cooked through; serve with basmati rice and mixed vegetables.